OUR HUMBLE BEGINNINGS
Back in the early thirties, ambulance coverage in Central Jersey was minimal. Several Milltown residents saw this as a problem for their humble community and decided to fix it. On October 22, 1937, their solution was incorporated into the town as the Milltown Rescue Squad. Nineteen men’s dream had now become a reality.
For the first few months of service, squad members responded without an ambulance, and had to rely on one to respond from out of town while the squad members rendered aid until its arrival. In August of 1937, our first ambulance was purchased, a Nash model which was offered from Toms River. The ambulance was a great addition to the organization but it was aged and had already seen seven years of service with another agency. Over the next two years, the squad vigorously rose the funds to buy an ambulance that would be fresh off the assembly line and in 1939, they succeeded and bought a Eureka/LaSalle Ambulance.
For ten years this ambulance responded across the county from an old freight station located behind Jensen’s Garage on Main Street, which would eventually house our first “permanent” headquarters. While the plans for the building, which would be worked on by the members themselves, were drawn up only a few years after the squad was established, the construction was disrupted by World War II. After the war, in 1947, the building was finally erected on Washington Ave, by materials donated from local businesses and for ten years, this building housed multiple vehicles, and was big enough for large community events. In addition to this building the squad also purchased a 1937 Dodge panel truck from the Trenton Tobacco Company, and was retrofitted to become a rescue truck. The truck was redesigned and constructed by the squad members.